Thursday, February 10, 2011

Strawberry Daiquiri Cupcakes

From the author of "Are You Sure That's Vegan?" comes this recipe for vegan strawberry daiquiri cupcakes. I frequently make chocolate cupcakes using this recipe, but I had the urge to try something new so I teamed up with a dear friend and fellow cupcake lover to give these a shot. The result was incredible! I have had several requests for encores, and each time I've made these cupcakes they have lasted no longer than 2 days in my house.
The only variations I made to the recipe were to use an entire can of frozen strawberry daiquiri mix (12 oz. I think), and to add some shredded sweetened coconut to the icing.
I always think it's funny when people are surprised that vegan food tastes "normal" and even delicious, but this recipe is sure to please any cupcake enthusiasts, vegan or not.

Cupcakes:

2 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup canola oil
¾ cup frozen strawberry daiquiri mix
(thawed)
½ cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons rum (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
Mix water and thawed daiquiri mix together, set aside.
In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and mix with a large spoon. Add the oil, applesauce, vanilla,
rum, daiquiri mixture and stir until all the ingredients are combined and there are no lumps.
Fill the liners till they are ⅔ full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the centre comes out
clean.
Let them cool for a few minutes in the pans, and then remove them and place on cooling racks to cool off
completely.


Coconut Butter-cream Icing:
1 cup vegan margarine*
3 cups sifted icing sugar
2 teaspoons coconut extract
1-2 tablespoons soy milk

To make the icing, beat margarine for about 30 seconds. Continue beating, adding the icing sugar ½ cup at
a time. Beat on low speed till smooth. Add the coconut extract and soy milk and beat again.
Ice when the cupcakes are completely cool.

*I use Shedd's Willow Run Soybean Margarine

14 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post is quite interesting and great research skills required for such type of post.
    -------------------------------------
    non plagiarized

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy... Thanks for sharing with us. Actually I am writing my essay testimonials project and getting important points from different blogs and forums and This is my pleasure to being here on this blog..

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s really a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m happy that you simply shared this useful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.
    dissertation help

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post is quite interesting and great research skills required for such type of post.
    essay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Obviously, these informative words were made by a professional. I find them helpful, as I make reasonable essays online by myself. I am going through this post and thinking of it’s theme and trying to understand what is this post about. At last I can have found something from this material which feels pretty good.
    essay

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing excellent information. Your site is so cool. I'm impressed by the details that you've on this web site. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject.
    dissertation writer

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a wonderful post. I enjoyed the information lot.
    dissertation writing

    ReplyDelete
  9. It’s really a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m happy that you simply shared this useful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.
    UK writing

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was expecting a post like this! More than anything else, I want to thanks you for sharing this post.
    UK essays

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great content you have here. Thanks for sharing.
    uk essay

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am writing my essay customs project and getting important points from different blogs and forums and This is my pleasure to being here on this blog..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy your writing.Actually I am searching about cheap paper on different blogs. Actually I am searching about cheap paper on different blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy, Nice and impressive writing.

    ReplyDelete